Roasted Vegetable Soup
Roasted vegetables have a sweet, smoky flavor. Serve this soup with slices of good-quality crusty bread, or with toasted cheese sandwiches.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, September 2003
- 6 beefsteak tomatoes, halved and cored
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In roasting pan, toss tomatoes with leeks, carrots, garlic, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in a single layer (tomato cut sides down) until tender, 1 hour. Using tongs, peel off tomato skins.
In saucepan, bring vegetables, vegetable broth, and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
In batches, puree in blender. Stir in basil.