No ordinary breakfast, gingerbread waffles are an easy indulgence and best served with tangy sour cream and tart lingonberry preserves (although, truth be told, they're delicious with any type of berry jam). For a special touch, use a heart-shape waffle iron.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- Lingonberry preserves (or other berry preserves), for serving
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, butter, milk, sour cream, and molasses in a medium bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, and whisk until smooth.
Heat a waffle iron. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each mold, and cook until golden brown. Serve warm waffles with sour cream and preserves.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2007