Under 30 Minutes
Broiled Flank-Steak Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 thick slices rustic bread, toasted
- Roasted Peppers with Garlic and Basil, or store-bought roasted bell peppers, if you prefer
Make horseradish sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate while preparing steak.
Heat broiler, with rack 6 inches from heat. Season steak well on both sides with salt and pepper; rub with 2 tablespoons oil. Place on a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Broil 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing 1/4 inch thick.
Place watercress in a bowl; toss with remaining tablespoon oil and the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on toasted bread, topped with steak, horseradish sauce, and roasted peppers.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 2003