- Servings: 6
- 1/4 cup coarse salt, plus more
- 2 lemons, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 (3-ounce) boxes of Zatarain's Crawfish Boil
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 36) small new potatoes
- 6 ears corn, shucked and halved crosswise
- 15 pounds live crawfish
- Freshly ground pepper
Fill a large stockpot with about 15 quarts water. Add salt, lemons, crawfish boil, garlic, cayenne, and bay leaves; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer; cook for 15 minutes.
Add potatoes, corn, and onions. Return to a boil; cook for 5 minutes.
Add crawfish, and return to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
Using a large slotted spoon, transfer crawfish and vegetables to a large serving platter. Season with salt and pepper. To eat, hold crawfish in one hand; gently twist off tail. Peel off first 2 or 3 rings; suck juices out of the head. Squeeze sides at top of tail with thumb and forefinger to break shell; remove meat.