Simple Sugar Cookies
These "trees" are made from stacks of sugar cookies coated with white icing. See our Royal Icing recipe.
For the Dough
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for pressing cookies
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of one orange
Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda; set aside. Place butter, olive oil, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat on medium until fluffy.
Beat in eggs, vanilla extract, and orange zest until well combined. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture slowly, until fully incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Form dough into balls measuring about 1 inch in diameter, and place on a cookie sheet about 2 inches part. Press flat with a glass dipped in sugar. Place cookies in oven, and bake until very lightly golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2000