Under 30 Minutes
Rhubarb Salad with Goat Cheese
When shopping for rhubarb, look for thin, red, crisp stalks. Floppy stalks indicate the rhubarb was picked too long ago.
- 3/4 pound rhubarb, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (preferably white)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 bunches arugula (about 1 pound total), tough ends removed
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss rhubarb with honey. Roast on upper rack until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet. On another rimmed baking sheet, toast walnuts on lower rack until fragrant, 5 minutes. Let cool, then chop.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add arugula and fennel and toss to combine. Top with rhubarb, walnuts, and goat cheese.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2009