Under 30 Minutes
Rhubarb Salad with Goat Cheese
When shopping for rhubarb, look for thin, red, crisp stalks. Floppy stalks indicate the rhubarb was picked too long ago.
- 3/4 pound rhubarb, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (preferably white)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 bunches arugula (about 1 pound total), tough ends removed
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss rhubarb with honey. Roast on upper rack until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet. On another rimmed baking sheet, toast walnuts on lower rack until fragrant, 5 minutes. Let cool, then chop.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add arugula and fennel and toss to combine. Top with rhubarb, walnuts, and goat cheese.