Bacon and Egg Pie
- Unsalted butter, for pie plate
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon
- 1/4 pound small mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Have ready a generously buttered 10-inch glass pie plate. Cook bacon in a large skillet until very crisp. Remove; drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet.
Return skillet to medium-high heat; add mushrooms. Cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet; spread mushrooms in prepared pie plate. Crumble bacon; arrange over mushrooms, along with pepper, cheeses, and thyme.
Beat eggs and cream in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over bacon-vegetable mixture. Bake until egg pie is set and deep golden brown, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven, and place on wire rack for 10 minutes. Slice into wedges, and serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 2000