Fennel and Apple Salad
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 1 apple, such as Fuji or Mutsu
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 6 dried pear halves, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Using a mandoline, thinly slice fennel lengthwise, and place in a medium bowl. Core and quarter apple, and rub with lemon to prevent discoloration. Using the mandoline, slice the apple slightly thicker than fennel. Combine with fennel, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together honey mustard, cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle oil into bowl, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.
Pour dressing over fennel and apple. Toss to combine. Taste, and adjust for seasoning. Divide salad between four small plates. Garnish each plate with pistachios, dried pears, and goat cheese. Serve immediately.