To ensure a flaky crust, chill the butter and the flour before using. A food processor yields the best results, but you can use a pastry cutter instead; work quickly so that the butter remains cold. This recipe provides the crust for our Spiced Apple Pie, Pear-Cranberry Pie, and our Maple Pumpkin Pie.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 sticks (18 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 7 to 10 tablespoons ice water
Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add butter, and pulse until coarse crumbs form, about 10 seconds.
With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream just until dough holds together and is not wet or sticky, no longer than 30 seconds.
Divide dough into two portions, and shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.