This crisp and crunchy cookie is perfect for dipping into a cup of hot tea or coffee.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated (about 2 lemons) lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unblanched, whole almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, zest, and salt. Stir in almonds and ginger.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla; stir into flour mixture. (Dough will appear very dry but will come together when kneaded.)
Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth. Divide dough in half; shape into two logs, each about 1 inch high and 3 inches wide. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake until logs are puffed and outside is firm (the tops may crack), about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the logs crosswise,1/4 inch thick. Lay slices on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until crisp and lightly golden, rotating pans and turning biscotti over halfway through, 20 minutes total. Cool completely before serving or storing.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2005