Pasta with Sausage and Escarole
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound rigatoni, or other tubular pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head escarole, cut horizontally into thirds and stemmed
- Parmesan cheese, for shaving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than package instructions. Drain pasta.
Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sausage; cook, stirring, until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Pour in wine; stir to deglaze pan. Add cream, parsley, rosemary, and red-pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Add escarole; cook, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir pasta into skillet; cook until cream has started to thicken and pasta is al dente, about 3 minutes. Garnish with cheese, and serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November Fall 2003