Parsnip Soup with Toasted Almonds
A swirl in the blender with just a touch of heavy cream turns root vegetables into a luscious soup. Top with roasted almond slices for a little crunch.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes 5 cups
Photography: Joseph De Leo
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 small shallots, chopped
- 1 pound parsnips (about 4 medium), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced raw almonds, toasted
Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook shallots, parsnips, and potato, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Season with 2 teaspoons salt. Add water, and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
Puree mixture in a blender with cream until smooth. (For safety, remove cap from hole in lid, and cover with a dish towel to prevent spattering.) Divide soup among 4 bowls; sprinkle with almonds. Season with pepper.