This relish goes well with grilled or roasted chicken, pork, turkey, or duck.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2009
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 plums, pitted and diced
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add shallots and ginger, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add plums, sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook until plums have softened (add water if needed), about 12 minutes. Stir in vinegar and zest. Season with salt and pepper.