Fluffy Chocolate and Yellow Buttercreams
- Yield: Makes 3 3/4 cups chocolate frosting and 1 1/4 cups yellow frosting
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring 2005
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Yellow food coloring
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1 stick butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups sugar; mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stir in food coloring to make pale yellow. Transfer to a small bowl; cover.
Put remaining 3 sticks butter in mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; add cocoa. Mix until smooth. With mixer running, add remaining 3 3/4 cups sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; mix on high speed until incorporated, 10 to 20 seconds more.