Mixed Summer Bean Salad
Use any combination of fresh beans you like. They can be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated until you're ready to use them.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June/July Summer 1993
- 1 pound mixed fresh beans, such as string beans, wax beans, haricots verts, and shelled fava beans
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Red-wine vinegar
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, basil, or parsley (optional)
- 8 leaves red-leaf lettuce
Trim stem ends of beans. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch each type of bean separately until crisp-tender. Refresh in ice water, drain, and pat dry.
Toss beans with shallot, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Add vinegar to taste and herbs, if desired.
Arrange red-leaf lettuce and beans on each of 4 plates, and serve.