Madhur's Garam Masala
Garam masala is an aromatic mixture. While there are many variations, this is Madhur's favorite.
- Yield: Makes about 3 tablespoons
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1998
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches long
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, preferably black
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 medium nutmeg seed
Place all of the ingredients in a clean electric coffee grinder. Turn machine on, and process until the spices have been finely ground, 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a small airtight container, and store in a cool, dark place.