Fig, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
Fresh figs, goat cheese, and golden-brown onions on a sandwich -- who knew?
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2008
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese (3 1/2 ounces), room temperature
- 8 thick slices country bread
- 1/2 pound ripe fresh figs (about 8), stemmed and thinly sliced
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until onions are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes more (if skillet begins to darken, add cup water).
Dividing evenly, spread cheese on 4 bread slices. Top with onions and figs; sandwich with remaining bread.