Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring/Winter 2008
- 2 cups wheat berries
- 1 bay leaf
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 4 pickled red peppers, such as peppadew or cherry, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh, cilantro
Place wheat berries in a large bowl and add enough water to cover by 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Transfer to a refrigerator and let soak overnight.
Drain wheat berries and transfer to a medium pot with enough water to cover by 3 inches. Add bay leaf and 2 tablespoons salt. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil; immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook until wheat berries are al dente, 45 to 60 minutes. Drain and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
Place wheat berries in a large bowl along with almonds, feta, raisins, peppers, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, mint, parsley, and cilantro; stir to combine. Serve immediately.