Peter's Sea Vegetable Salad
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 1/2 cup packed dulse
- 1 three-inch piece wakame
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 small head radicchio, cored and finely sliced
- 1 head Belgian endive, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper, or 1/2 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon or orange zest
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat the broiler. Place the dulse and wakame in separate bowls, and cover each with cold water. Set aside until rehydrated and softened.
Place the bell peppers on a baking sheet, cut side down. Broil 2 inches from the heat until black and charred. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, and seal with plastic wrap. Set aside for 10 minutes or until they are cool enough to handle. The skins will easily scrape free with the back of a knife. Discard the charred skins, slice the pepper halves into thin strips, and return them to the bowl.
Drain the dulse and wakame. Spread out the wakame, and cut away any tough veins. Coarsely chop the wakame and dulse, and add them to the bowl with the peppers along with the cucumber, radicchio, and endive.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, jalapeno, garlic, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add the oil in a steady stream, whisking to emulsify.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables, and toss to coat. Refrigerate salad for 30 minutes.
Season salad with additional salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.