Salad with Pancetta Crisps, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and Pear
Crisp pancetta slices complement Brussels sprouts in this main-dish salad. Find delicately salty ricotta salata at cheese shops, or use fresh goat cheese.
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 head Boston lettuce (about 1 pound), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 red Bartlett pear, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 ounces ricotta salata, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange pancetta in a single layer. Bake on lower rack until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain; set aside. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake on upper rack until tender, 18 to 20 minutes, tossing once.
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and remaining oil; season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce, pear, and Brussels sprouts; toss to combine. Divide among four serving plates, and top with ricotta salata and pancetta.