Basic Vegetable Stock
This basic vegetable stock, courtesy of chef Mario Batali, is used to make his delicious Spring Onion and Pea Soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large onions, quartered
- 2 large carrots, quartered, tops reserved
- 2 celery stalks, quartered
- 8 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large leeks, washed, trimmed, and tough outer leaves removed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 whole clove
- 3 quarts water
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and leeks; cook until browned and softened. Add carrot tops, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, peppercorns, clove, and water. Bring to a boil; immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 8 cups, about 2 hours.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, April 2009