Spiced Lemon Cake
Cardamom lends a flowery note to this lemon cake, made with the zest and juice of 2 lemons. Once cooled, drizzle with a sugary lemon icing.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes one 8-inch cake
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2010
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest plus 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat butter, granulated sugar, zest, and cardamom with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Reduce speed to medium-low; beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Pour batter into cake pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool, top side up. Whisk confectioners' sugar with remaining 3 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth; pour over cooled cake.