This relish makes a wonderful topping for crostini, or serve it as condiment for roasted chicken. Try it tossed into pasta, like our recipe for Pasta with Eggplant-Tomato Relish.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, torn into small pieces
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 globe eggplant (1 pound)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, stir together tomatoes, garlic cloves, cumin, and olive oil. Place eggplant on top of tomato mixture and roast until eggplant is very tender when pierced with a knife and tomato juices are thick, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool. Transfer eggplant to a cutting board and halve lengthwise. Scrape out flesh with a spoon (discarding as many seeds as possible); roughly chop flesh. Place in a large bowl. Peel and chop garlic and add to bowl. Stir in tomato mixture and red onion. Season with salt and pepper.