Spaghetti with Lobster Fra Diavolo
The spaghetti is tossed with a spicy sauce studded with lobster meat. Best of all? Most of the cooking time is spent simmering.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes with juice, preferably San Marzano, pureed
- 2 cups water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups lobster stock or fish stock
- 3 lobster tails in shells
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, and red-pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by half, about 1 1/2 hours.
Season with 1 tablespoon salt and some pepper. Add stock and lobster tails. Cook for 30 minutes. Transfer lobster tails to a plate; let cool slightly. Remove meat from shells; cut in half lengthwise. Discard shells, and return meat to sauce.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti until al dente. Drain, and transfer to a platter. Stir basil into sauce, ladle over pasta, and toss.