Under 30 Minutes
Spice-Rubbed Fish with Lemony Rice
A homemade spice mix gives fish a flavor boost. If you like heat, use hot Hungarian paprika or 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper instead of regular paprika.
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Spice Mix
- 1 pound cod or other firm white-fleshed fish, cut into 4 fillets
In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 4 minutes. Stir in rice and poppy seeds (if using) and cook 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest and juice, broth, and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 13 minutes. Sprinkle spice mix over fish. Arrange fish snugly in a single layer, spice side up, on top of rice, cover, and cook until rice is tender and fish is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes.