Under 30 Minutes
Seared Fish with Beets and Broccoli
A simple sear in a nonstick pan produces succulent fish for this weeknight dinner. Use any firm white-fleshed fish, such as cod, halibut, or mahi-mahi. For an easy side dish, roast beets and broccoli in a hot oven, which produces supertender vegetables.
- 3/4 pound red or gold beets (about 3), scrubbed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound skinless, firm white-fleshed fish, such as cod, halibut, or mahi-mahi, cut into 4 fillets
- Lime wedges, for serving
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss beets and broccoli with 4 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add fish and cook until lightly browned on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until lightly browned and opaque throughout, 3 minutes more. Serve fish with vegetables and lime wedges.