Spiced Shrimp with Ginger Rice and Peas
This light recipe packs in the flavor with bright ginger rice and sauteed shrimp dusted with cumin and coriander. The meal comes together quickly for family dinner any night of the week.
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Lime wedges, for serving
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add scallion whites and ginger and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 minutes. Add rice and 1 1/2 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and top with peas. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes, then add scallion greens and fluff rice with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss shrimp with cumin and coriander and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque throughout, about 4 minutes. Serve shrimp with rice and lime wedges.