Spiced Carrot Spread
This simple recipe for carrot spread takes on the flavors of the Middle East. Steamed carrots are pureed with cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, and tahini to create a robustly flavored appetizer. Serve with toasted cocktail-size bread slices.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Set a steamer basket in a saucepan with 2 inches simmering water. Add carrots. Cover and steam until tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, along with garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, tahini, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Process until smooth, about 1 minute, adding up to 2 tablespoons water if necessary.