Roasted Red Onion and Squash Pasta
Ready in under 30 minutes, this delicious vegetarian meal is a veritable symphony of hearty flavors everyone in the family will love.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 6 wedges each, layers separated
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 pound short ridged pasta, such as rigatoni
- 1/4 cup grated Fontina cheese (2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss onions, squash, and sage with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until tender, about 25 minutes, rotating sheet and tossing vegetables halfway through.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot. Add vegetables and cheese and toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta.