Roasted Autumn Harvest Salad
Make this roasted autumn harvest salad for a delicious and healthy side dish. The recipe is featured in "Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook."
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
For Roasted Vegetables
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 baby red or golden beets, or 4 medium beets scrubbed and trimmed
- 8 shallots, peeled and cut in half if large
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths (halve the thicker end pieces lengthwise)
- 6 long carrots, scrubbed well or peeled, halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves (from 2 sprigs)
- 2 bunches arugula, trimmed and washed well (6 cups)
- Shallot Vinaigrette for Roasted Autumn Harvest Salad
Roast beets: Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place beets on a parchment-lined piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake until beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 30 to 45 minutes for baby beets and up to 1 1/4 hours for larger beets. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then rub off skins with paper towels. Cut beets in half (or into quarters or sixths if large).
Meanwhile, roast shallots, parsnips, and carrots: Toss shallots, parsnips, and carrots in a large bowl with remaining 3 tablespoons oil, then season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with rosemary, tossing to coat. Roast until tender and golden, turning vegetables over once, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Prepare greens: Wash arugula and dry thoroughly, then place in a bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel (or damp paper towels). Refrigerate until needed (this will help crisp the leaves).
Toss vegetables and greens with vinaigrette: Toss parsnips, carrots, and shallots with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Toss beets separately with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette (to prevent their color from bleeding). Toss arugula with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and season lightly with salt and a pinch of pepper.
Compose salad and serve: Line a serving platter with arugula and arrange vegetables on top. Serve salad immediately.