The dough for these orange-coconut macaroons is made in a food processor and dropped by teaspoons onto baking sheets.
- Yield: Makes about 3 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2006
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 4 1/2 ounces almond paste
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups packed sweetened flaked coconut, (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Process granulated sugar and orange zest in a food processor until combined, about 3 minutes. Add almond paste; process 1 minute. Add egg whites, orange juice, confectioners' sugar, flour, half of the coconut, and the salt; process 1 minute. Remove blade, scraping batter into bowl with a rubber spatula. Stir in remaining coconut.
Drop rounded teaspoons of batter on to baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake macaroons until the edges start to turn brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer parchment and macaroons to a wire rack; let cool completely.