Decorate a plain stool with a cheery design that will brighten up any room.
Tools and Materials
- Unfinished wooden stool (13-inch diameter; 24-inch height)
- Painter's tape
- Paintbrush or small roller
- White paint
- Heavyweight paper
- Double-sided tape
- 1/4-inch masking tape
- Bone folder
- Seed template
- Stencil stippling brush
- Citrus-colored paint
- Goo Gone (optional)
Citrus Stool How-To
1. To protect legs from paint, use painter's tape to tape off underside of seat of unfinished wooden stool. With a paintbrush or small roller, apply two coats of white paint to entire seat (including underside), allowing each coat to dry completely before proceeding.
2. To make citrus pattern stencil, start by cutting a 12-inch circle from heavyweight paper using the Martha Stewart Crafts Large Circle Cutter. Without moving or lifting cutter, adjust blade and cut an 11-inch circle out of the first circle, creating a 1/2-inch wide paper ring. (For a stool of a different diameter, make the first circle's diameter an inch less than that of the seat and the second circle's diameter an inch less than that of the first circle.)
3. Using double-sided tape, affix paper ring to seat, and with 1/4-inch masking tape, mark off area within ring to resemble citrus fruit sections. Using a bone folder, press tape firmly to seat and eliminate any space under tape where it meets the paper ring.
4. Download seed template and print on heavyweight paper. With scissors, cut out seeds and affix to seat with double-sided tape within desired citrus sections.
5. With a 1 3/4-inch stencil stippling brush, apply one coat of desired citrus-colored paint to seat, being sure to cover all exposed white surfaces, including underside.
6. Once paint is completely dry, peel painter's tape, paper ring, masking tape and seed stencils off seat. Remove any remaining adhesive residue with Goo Gone.
7. To protect surface of seat, paint with two coats of water-based clear satin polycrylic sealer and let dry completely.
Large circle cutter and double-sided adhesive tape roller available from Martha Stewart Crafts. Unfinished wooden stools available from Gothic Cabinet Craft. Stencil stippling brushes available from Create For Less. Martha Stewart Living paints in Picket Fence white, Pencil orange, Egg Yolk yellow, Calabash green, and Butternut Squash pink available at The Home Depot.