Poached Peaches with Raspberries
The poaching liquid, spiked with wine and spices, imparts great flavor while tenderizing the peaches.
- Servings: 12
Photography: VICTORIA PEARSON
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2010
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (or rose)
- Coarse salt
- 1 one-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 strips (3 inches each) lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (optional)
- 6 ripe peaches (about 2 1/2 pounds), halved and pitted
- 6 ounces raspberries (about 1 cup)
Bring water, sugar, wine, 1/4 teaspoon salt, the cinnamon, zest, and peppercorns to a boil in a medium stockpot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add peaches; cover with cheesecloth or parchment to keep submerged. Reduce heat; simmer, turning peaches once, until tender and skins are loose, 7 to 9 minutes.
Remove from heat; discard cinnamon stick. Stir in lemon juice, and add half the raspberries. Let cool, covered with cheesecloth to keep moist, for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Remove peaches, and slip off skins; discard. Strain poaching liquid; discard solids. Serve peaches in liquid, and top with remaining raspberries.