This dessert features a delicate custard filling with a tangy-sweet flavor. For a homemade pie dough, check out Our Favorite Pie Crust. Recipe courtesy of reader Cynthia Bricker, Milton, Massachusetts.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, April 2009
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust (see above), fitted into a 9-inch pie plate, well chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, and sugar. Whisk in buttermilk and butter in 4 parts, alternating between the two. Whisk in vanilla. Pour filling into crust; sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 325 degrees. Cover pie loosely with foil. Bake until filling is set, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Serve at room temperature.