Source: Dinner at Home, 2009
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, washed well and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 six-ounce salmon fillets
- Arugula, washed well and dried, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Melt butter in a medium skillet set over medium-low heat. Add leeks; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add wine, and simmer until leeks are very tender, about 4 minutes. Add cream and 2 tablespoons chives; return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve half; transfer remaining mixture to jar of blender. Add chicken broth, and puree until leek sauce is smooth.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Season fillets with salt and pepper; place in pan skin side down. Cook until skin side is well browned, about 5 minutes. Turn over, and saute just until fish is cooked through, 3 to 6 minutes more; it should still be slightly pink in the center. Transfer to a platter.
Serve salmon with leek sauce. Garnish with reserved leek mixture, remaining chives, arugula, and lemon wedges.