Potato Leek Soup
Warm up on a cool fall evening with comforting bowls of extra-creamy potato leek soup.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 to 8 fat leeks, white parts only, cleaned and sliced crosswise
- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 5 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until soften, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, and broth; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Transfer mixture to the jar of a blender or bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth. Set a fine mesh strainer over a large saucepan; strain liquid into saucepan. Add half-and-half, heavy cream, and nutmeg; season with white pepper.
Return to stove and gently heat over medium-high heat until warmed through. Serve garnished with chives.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October 2010