- 12 large eggs
- 3 jarred roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into small triangles, for garnish
- 2 scallions, dark-green parts only, cut into small triangles, for garnish
- Fresh chives, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, for garnish
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Put eggs into a medium saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 12 minutes.Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to ice-water bath.
When eggs are cool, peel, and cut in half lengthwise. Carefully remove yolks, keeping whites intact and transferring whites and yolks to separate bowls. Refrigerate whites.
Add roasted peppers, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and hot sauce (if desired) to yolks. Mash with a fork until smooth. Cover, and refrigerate until stiff, about 30 minutes.
Mound yolk mixture in each egg-white half. Garnish with bell pepper, scallions, and chives to make devilish faces.
SourceHalloween 2004, Special Issue