Warm Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Salad
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1999
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, skin on, split
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 10 white mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 handfuls fresh baby or flat-leaf spinach, (8 to 10 ounces), stems cut
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Press a scant tablespoon parsley onto skin side of each breast. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Place breasts, skin side down, in skillet; cook until golden, about 8 minutes per side.
Remove chicken from skillet, and transfer to a roasting pan. Place roasting pan in oven. Roast until chicken cooks through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, return skillet to stove. Add onion; cook, stirring, until just golden, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add wine; scrape skillet's bottom to release cooked-on juices. Cook until wine is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar; cook 1 minute more. Stir in remaining parsley; season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
Remove chicken from oven. Place spinach on plates. Slice each breast into sixths; arrange over spinach. Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken, drizzling juices over spinach, and serve.