Lentil and Bulgur Salad
Lentils, bulgur, and feta cheese give this salad its Middle-Eastern flavor. Pack it for a picnic, or serve it with crisp lettuce as a light supper.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2005
- 3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 box (5.25 ounces) fine-grain bulgur wheat, (scant 3/4 cup)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, (4 to 6 scallions)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
In a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in bulgur,1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4teaspoon pepper. Cover; remove from heat, and let stand until bulgur has absorbed liquid, 30 minutes.
Transfer bulgur to a large bowl. Gently stir in lentils, tomatoes, scallions, lemon juice, and oil. Serve sprinkled with feta.