This healthy staple is high in protein and low in fat, and it's incredibly versatile when turned into a smooth puree.
Cottage cheese is available in varieties that range from nonfat to 4 percent milk fat and with small, medium, or large curds. We prefer low-fat cottage cheese (1 percent to 2 percent) with small curds, which has about 14 grams of protein and just 80 calories per half cup. For a heart-healthy diet, choose one with fewer than 400 milligrams of sodium per serving. Cottage cheese will stay fresh for up to 10 days past the sell-by date on the carton.
Quick Ideas for Pureed Cottage Cheese
- Use in place of ricotta as a filling for lasagna.
- Stir a spoonful into rice and beans.
- Mix with marinara for a creamy pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle with ground black pepper and use as a dip for crackers or corn chips.
- Swirl into oatmeal and top with fruit.
Recipes to Try: