Broccoli Rabe Pizza with Hazelnut Dough
Sweet red onion offsets bitter broccoli rabe for a delectable and grown-up pizza topping.
- Servings: 2
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2010
- 1 small bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 pinches of crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 ball Hazelnut Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino Romano cheese
Preheat oven, preferably convection, to 500 degrees. Blanch broccoli rabe in a pot of salted water until tender; run under cold water, and drain. Toss 1 1/2 cups broccoli rabe with oil, onion, and red-pepper flakes; season with salt.
Spread cornmeal on a baking sheet. Stretch dough into a 9 1/2-inch round; transfer to baking sheet. Drizzle dough with oil, and arrange broccoli rabe on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Bake until crust is golden brown and cooked through, about 12 minutes (20 minutes if not using convection oven). Drizzle with oil, and top with cheese.