Broccoli Rabe Pizza with Hazelnut Dough
Sweet red onion offsets bitter broccoli rabe for a delectable and grown-up pizza topping.
- 1 small bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 pinches of crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 ball Hazelnut Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino Romano cheese
Preheat oven, preferably convection, to 500 degrees. Blanch broccoli rabe in a pot of salted water until tender; run under cold water, and drain. Toss 1 1/2 cups broccoli rabe with oil, onion, and red-pepper flakes; season with salt.
Spread cornmeal on a baking sheet. Stretch dough into a 9 1/2-inch round; transfer to baking sheet. Drizzle dough with oil, and arrange broccoli rabe on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Bake until crust is golden brown and cooked through, about 12 minutes (20 minutes if not using convection oven). Drizzle with oil, and top with cheese.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October 2010