Under 30 Minutes
Grilled Sea Scallops and Fennel
If you're using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes before grilling to prevent them from scorching.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon anise-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 24 sea scallops (about 1 1/4 pounds), tough muscles removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, reserving fronds for pasta sauce
Heat grill to medium-high. In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil with the lemon juice and liqueur, if using. Add scallops, and toss to coat. Slide scallops horizontally onto small skewers (about 6 on each). Season with salt and pepper.
Place skewers on grill. Grill, rotating, until scallops are golden outside and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from grill.
Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise, and slice lengthwise again into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Toss with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, and grill, turning, until fennel just wilts and starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove scallops from skewers. Serve warm.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August Summer 2003