Spiced Butterflied Leg of Lamb
An anise-scented rub and fragrant olive oil stand up to the robust flavor of lamb.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds butterflied leg of lamb
- Grilled lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
In a small bowl, combine oil, coriander and fennel seeds, red-pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow dish, coat lamb with marinade. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or refrigerate, up to overnight).
Heat grill to medium-low; lightly oil grates. Grill lamb, covered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat registers 130 degrees for medium-rare, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove from grill. Tent with aluminum foil; let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice lamb, and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.