When spices are applied as a rub, their flavors permeate the meat during cooking with an intensity that sauces can't match. Dredge raw meat in the barbecue rub one to three days before grilling.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Photography: John Gruen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2002
- 1 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place all ingredients in a large bowl; whisk to combine. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.