Penne With Basil and Caciocavallo
If you have trouble finding caciocavallo cheese, you can substitute grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 3 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed with the flat side of a large knife
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound penne
- 2 cups grated caciocavallo cheese, plus more for sprinkling and serving
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
Stir together basil, garlic, and oil in a serving bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add pasta; cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid; drain pasta.
Add hot pasta, the cheese, pepper, and reserved cooking liquid to the basil mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese, and drizzle with oil; garnish with basil. Serve with more cheese.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2005