Iceberg Lettuce with Blue-Cheese Dressing and Toasted Almonds
The classic combination of iceberg lettuce and blue cheese is enlivened with tart Granny Smith apple cubes and the nutty flavor of toasted almonds.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2003
- 2 ounces whole shelled almonds
- 4 1/2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until lightly toasted, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together cheese, lemon juice, buttermilk, and oil until smooth, and season with pepper.
Break each lettuce wedge in half. Divide among four plates; top with apple. Spoon dressing over each serving. Garnish with almonds; serve immediately.