Shrimp and Corn Salad in Bibb Lettuce Cups
Small shrimp are best for this recipe, but medium or chopped large shrimp can also be used.
- 1 pound (about 36) small to medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 2 1/3 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears corn), cobs reserved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 10 strips orange zest, each 3 inches long (from 1 orange), orange reserved and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 firm, ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced lengthwise, and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh mint, leaves torn if large
Bring shrimp shells, corncobs, onion, orange zest, bay leaf, peppercorns, water, and wine to a simmer in a large pot. Cook for 15 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve; discard solids. Return liquid to pot, and bring to a boil. Add shrimp and corn kernels, and cook until shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Strain, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid. Refrigerate until chilled, up to 2 hours.
Whisk together reserved poaching liquid, oil, and vinegar in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Juice 1 orange half into bowl. Add shrimp and corn, and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, 10 to 15 minutes.
Arrange lettuce leaves on each of 4 plates. Top with a scoop of shrimp-corn mixture. Top with avocado and mint, and drizzle with juices from bowl. Juice remaining orange half over tops, and season with salt.