Mini Asian Crab Cakes
- 1 tablespoon diced, seeded red jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon diced, seeded green jalapeno
- 2 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups lump crabmeat (about 9 ounces), picked over
- 1/2 cup panko (Asian breadcrumbs), plus more for dredging
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 limes, halved lengthwise and cut into quarters, for serving
Stir together jalapenos, scallions, ginger, cilantro, egg, salt, and coconut milk in a large bowl. Fold in crabmeat and breadcrumbs (mixture should just hold together). Scoop tablespoons of mixture, and lightly flatten into 1 1/2-inch cakes; arrange in rows on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes (up to 1 week; defrost before dredging and frying).
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Dredge cakes in breadcrumbs to coat. Working in batches, fry cakes, flipping once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed. Serve with lime wedges.