Whole-Wheat Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms
Sauteed Brussels sprouts and mushrooms seasoned with lemon zest and tossed with chewy whole-wheat pasta makes a quick, healthy meal.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, September 2010
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 pound short whole-wheat pasta, such as rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound cremini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat half the oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms to pasta. Reduce skillet heat to medium and add remaining oil, brussels sprouts, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until brussels sprouts are soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add brussels sprouts mixture and lemon zest to pasta. Stir in enough reserved water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Add lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.